Spectrometers are widely used in many different aspects, such as food and environmental inspection etc. However, it is necessary to have a portable and high-resolution spectrometer for real-time on-site inspection at remote farm or factory. CUHK team invented two new technologies, which broke the traditional boundary. We develop a handheld high-resolution short-wave infrared (SWIR) spectrometer that enables real-time and on-site spectroscopic analysis in the 900–2800 nm wavelength range. Basing on our two technologies, the spectrometer can be fabricated via low-cost processes: (1) vacuum-imprinted varied-line-space concave grating, which simultaneously miniaturizes the optical design and improves resolution, and (2) HgTe quantum dot based detectors, which exhibit high room-temperature sensitivity beyond 2000 nm. This innovative spectrometer system developed by CUHK outperforms the current commercial products no matter in cost, size and performance.
Uniqueness and Competitive Advantages:
- Miniaturized system (about 20×16×5 cm3)
- Wide photodetection wavelength range (900−2800 nm)
- High spectral resolution (5 nm)
- High detectivity at room temperature (1010 Jones)
- Fast response speed (less than 10 ms)
- 01The buildings (e.g. the apartments, hotels and factories) that require real-time monitor the hazardous gas
- 02The vehicle interior air quality and exhaust emission monitoring
- 03Farms that need to classify foods, such as milk fat content and apple sweetness identification, etc.
- 04Garbage sorting and recycling station, which require efficient plastic recycling sorting