CUHK joined with the South China University of Technology has developed an efficient enzymatic method to produce healthy oil – diacylglycerol to alleviate obesity. Obesity and associated diseases such as diabetes have been closely associated with unhealthy diets. Nutritionists have found that diacylglycerol, a natural form of oil, can reduce fat without changing people’s dietary habits. This project thereby invents a new enzymatic production technology of the healthy oil, diacylglycerol, based on a new enzyme immobilization method. A hydrogel microgel system can immobilize the enzyme and improve the catalytic profile drastically. This technology increases the biosynthesis of diacylglycerol and helps to promote the use of healthy oil to combat obesity in the long run.
Uniqueness and Competitive Advantages:
- Hydrogel microgel as a new technology for enzyme immobilization can enhance the reuse of enzymes
- It can improve the catalytic activity of enzymes under non-optimal conditions
- It can increase the contact between enzyme and hydrophobic substrates
- It has a high potential for industrialization
- Hydrogel microgel based enzyme formulations may become a new type of enzyme formulation in the industry